Bucatini alla Carbonara
Classic Roman style pasta with egg sauce
- 12 oz Bucatini pasta
- 4 oz Guanciale cut into lardons
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano shredded
- 4 ea egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper Fresh cracked
- Bring water to boil in large sauce pot. Salt water to taste like the sea. Once boiling add bucatini and cook for 6-7 minutes. (Check package for cook time and cook 1 minute less) If cooking fresh pasta, cook after the next step.
- Add guanciale to a cast iron sauté pan. Render until slightly crispy. Remove Guanciale and keep rendered fat.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk the pecorino and egg yolks. Place mixing bowl over pasta water (to create a double boiler_ Slowly drizzle in the rendered fat, stirring constantly. If too thick add pasta water in slowly until you have a rich creamy egg sauce. (be careful not to let the egg yolks cook to fast or they will get lumpy).
- Place guanciale back in the sauce pan, add in the egg mixture and toss in the pasta. Add more pasta water if too thick. Add black pepper. Serve immediately.
- You may add more Pecorino Romano, guanciale and black pepper to garnish