Osso Buco is a meat dish that originated in the Lombardy region of Italy
- Dutch Oven, Blender
- 2-3 each Veal Shank Tied
- 1 each Yellow Onion 1/2 " diced
- 1/2 cup Carrot 1/2 " diced
- 1/2 cup Celery 1/2 " diced
- 1 each Red Bell Pepper 1/2 " diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 TBL Butter
- 2 cups Chicken or Veal Stock
- 2 cups Dry Red Wine
- 6 oz Tomato Paste
- 1 each Bay Leaf
- 2 sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 1 each Fresh Rosemary
- AN Kosher Salt as needed
- AN Ground Black Pepper as needed
- Rinse veal shanks and pat dry. Tie each shank individually with twine. Sprinkle generously each shank with salt and black pepper.
- In your Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt butter and brown the veal shanks on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan sauté onions and garlic until softened. Add carrots, celery and red pepper and sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock and wine to deglaze. Stir in Tomato Paste.
- Add veal shank to liquid, make sure shanks are covered by liquid.Add bay leaf, thyme and rosemary to pan.Cover the pan and let cook on medium-low heat for 4-6 hours, until meat is tender.
- Remove veal from sauce, reserving liquid and vegetables. Strain liquid from vegetables and remove herb twigs. Add vegetables back into sauce and blend in a blender until smooth. (If sauce is too runny you can put it on the stove on medium heat to reduce it and thicken)
- Serve veal shank with sauce.
You can also use a pressure cooker to cook the veal shanks in 30 minutes. Follow the instructions for your pressure cooker.